Wednesday, March 12, 2008

UT is addicted to 80's music

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice that BYU and UT Valley as a whole seems to have this nostalgia for the past-be it in hairstyles or building designs. In general I can enjoy hair inspired by late 70's beauty-queens, or buildings that must have been cutting-edge in 1965. However, the one thing I can't stand is the radio stations that seem to long for the 80's. When I'm in the car and feel like listening to the FM, this is what has often happens:

Hit 1-"Now you have a friend in the diamond.." Ugg.
Hit 2- Crappy techno song with an 80's-inspired beat. Blech
Hit 3- Random 80's song that was never popular but for some reason is playing. Why?
Hit 4-"University of Phoenix offers..." You send me enough spam, now you have to assault my radio waves?
Hit 5-An early 90's song that can't let go of it's 80's roots. One more station....
Hit 6- A current song that's being "retro" by sampling 80's beats/lyrics/re-doing the entire song. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't have a problem with 80's music in general, it's just that I never hear any good 80's or 80's-sounding music on the radio. But I'm sure it's just all part of bringing back the "good old days" where we can remember a simpler time before we had heard of the "ozone layer," "video-games" or "outsourcing to 3rd-world countries." Aaaaaaaaahhh....I need to go watch the Breakfast Club.



5 comments:

jo said...

I admit, I'm a fan of the 80's music... but there are some real bad apples in the bunch. However, I'll always be happy when I get to hear some Tears For Fears or some Howard Jones

seriously, I love Howard Jones.

The Former 786 said...

I'm with Jo. I too long for the 80s. Howard Jones, Tears for Fears, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Material Issue, normal Michael Jackson and Bill Nye are all great (Bill Nye was the 90s, technically, but I wanted to get this shout out to him since he passed away this past week. Just kidding, Tay-tay!)

Seriously, though, there is something innocent, fun, and soothing about 80s music to me. And movies. And video games (yes, we had all heard of Atari and NES in the 80's, Lobbie) and the food of the 80s. . . *sigh*

Not the clothes, though. The clothes were a mistake.

Lobbie said...

Oh, ho-ho, but it was the late 80's when that really exploded and I don't think they were called video games yet to the extent they are now. I mean, you went over to your friends' house to play "Atari" or "Nintendo." There wasn't such a plethora that someone could say "hey, let's play video games." But then again, I don't really remember. I just thought Frogger and Duck-Hunt were amazing

The Former 786 said...

Oh ho ho HO HO HO, says I! Atari actually started in 1972 and was immensely popular in the late 70s and early 80s. Granted, the original NES didn't come out until 1985 (after the great video game crash of 1983 -- look it up on Wikipedia), but there was definitely a lot of Pong, Popeye, Frogger, and Donkey Kong being played in the early 1980s.

But I digress. 80s music rocks!!

Ryan Croker said...

I agree with Taylor about the Tears For Fears, but the whole Howard Jones thing leaves me confused. I remember she once tried to convince me that Howard Jones was the best thing ever, but I didn't believe her.